- Faculty & Staff
- Events & News
- About Us
Biochemistry Undergraduate Studies
Biochemistry Undergraduate Program
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is responsible for administering the Undergraduate Biochemistry Major at The Ohio State University as well as for providing instruction in biochemistry to undergraduate students majoring in the other biological and life sciences. We are very proud of the fact that some of the best students at Ohio State major in Biochemistry. Our major provides excellent preparation for professional and graduate training in the life sciences.
Information about the major and other undergraduate activities can be accessed at the following links.
The Biochemistry Major - Description and Course Requirements:
- General Information
- Course Requirements for the B.S. and B.A. Degrees
- Biochemistry Minor
- Course Descriptions
Research Opportunities for Undergraduates:
- Overview of Research Opportunities
- Independent Studies (Biochemistry 4193) and Undergraduate Research (Biochemistry 4998/4999)
- Biochemistry Advisors:
- Ms. Gabriela Jakubowska (Last Names Beginning with A – N)
- Dr. Janet Schilk (Last Names Beginning with O – Z; and Honors students)
Undergraduate advisors for Biochemistry are located in 110 Celeste Laboratory. Walk-in hours are available M – F from 9:00 am – 11:00 am. To schedule an appointment with a Biochemistry advisor, please call (614) 292-1204.
The undergraduate advisors for Biochemistry can provide interested students with a review of the Biochemistry degree options, including the minor in Biochemistry, and will assist undergraduate students in planning and scheduling the coursework needed to complete the Biochemistry major once it is declared. Students can also see a Biochemistry advisor to review General Education (GE) requirements and for general issues such as scheduling and adding/dropping courses. Both of the Biochemistry advisors are also Pre-Health Advisors and can assist as students begin the application process for professional programs.
- HONORS PROGRAM ADVISING: In general, students will consult with their faculty advisor (listed below) regarding upper level needs such as their Honors Research and Thesis Project, graduate program advise, advanced course selections etc. General academic program advising for the Biochemistry degree will also be available from Dr. Schilk (see above for contact information). Students will also consult with their appointed ASC Honors Program counselor in Smith Laboratory for procedural matters, information about general degree requirements, assistance with an Honors Contract, and for information about other special honors opportunities. Information about the ASC Honors Program can be found at its website.
- HONORS UNDERGRADUATE ADVISORS (BIOCHEMISTRY MAJORS):
- Students graduating 2013 or 2014 please contact: Dr. Jane Jackman, 740 Biological Sciences Building, 484 West 12th Avenue, (614) 247-8097, email@example.com
- Students graduating 2015 or 2016 please contact: Dr. Justin Wu, 752A Biological Sciences Building, 484 West 12th Avenue, (614) 247-5040, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students graduating 2017 or 2018 please contact: Dr. Dick Swenson, 776 Biological Sciences Building, 484 West 12th Avenue, (614) 292-9428, email@example.com