In addition to the modern research laboratories managed by our faculty, the Department of Biochemistry operates laboratories for instruction and common research facilites. Instruments available to members of the Department include ultra- and preparative centrifuges, liquid scintillation counters, FPLC's, a gel imaging system, a Phosphorimager, UV/visible spectrophotometers, circular dichroism spectropolarimeter, spectrofluorimeters, gas chromatographs, several PCR thermocylers, molecular graphics workstations, a cell culture lab, incubators, controlled-temperature rooms, and dark rooms.
University Library System:
The University Libraries System at Ohio State University in the Columbus Campus has a combined collection size of nearly 5.2 million volumes and receives approximately 36,000 serial titles periodically. This system also provides extensive on-line search tools that can be accessed as follows:
Additional Shared Facilities:
- Campus Chemical Instrument Center that has the latest research facilities in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) and Mass Spectroscopy (MS).
- Campus Microscopy and Imaging Facility: Provides services for Confocal, Electron, and Light Microscopy.
- The Molecular Biology Supply Center: Provides a convenient source for common reagents, enzymes, and kits used in molecular biology and recombinant DNA research. Contact the MBSC for a current catalog.
- Center for Molecular Neurobiology: Provides transgenic animal and ES cell services.
- OSU Biological Sciences Greenhouses
- OSU Fermentation Facility
- Ohio Supercomputer Center: A state facility that provides consultation, workshops, and software services.
- Plant-Microbe Genomics Facility: Provides DNA sequencing, Genotyping, DNA Microarray, Quantitative PCR, Proteomics, Robitics, and Microplate Reading Services.