- Faculty & Staff
- Events & News
- About Us
Biochemistry Undergraduate Course Requirements
Course Requirements for B.S.
Part A. Required Prerequisites or Supplements to the Major
These courses do not count toward 38 hour major.
- Biology 1113 (H1113), 1114 (H1114)
- Chemistry 1210 (1610, H1910), 1220 (1620, H1920)
- Mathematics 1151, 1152
- Physics 1250, 1251
Part B. Core Requirements
A minimum grade of "C-" in each course, and an overall grade point average of "C" (2.00) are required for graduation. The major is planned with a faculty advisor and is tailored to the background and interests of the student.
- Chemistry 2510 (2610), 2520 (2620), 2540, 2550
- Biochemistry 5613, 5614, 5615, 5621
- Molecular Genetics 4500 or 5606
- Physical Biochemistry 5721 (or Chem 4200 or 4300), 5722 (or Chem 4310 or 4310)
- Mathematics 2153
Part C. Electives within the Major
Some possible electives:
- Biochemistry 4193, 4998, 4999
- Chemistry 2210, 3510, 5420
- Computer and Information Science 2221, 2231
- Mathematics 2177 or 2255, 2174, 2415
- Microbiology 4100, 4120
- Molecular Genetics 4520, 4510
Electives recommended for biotechnology emphasis:
- Biochemistry 5735
- Microbiology 4120
In certain biochemical specialties, recommended foreign languages are German, French, or Russian.
Total: 38 or more hours at the 200 level or above (Parts B and C)
COURSES IN THE MAJOR MUST BE APPROVED BY YOUR ADVISOR
Course Requirements for B.A.
The BA student should complete all BS major requirements with the following exceptions:
The exceptions for the BA degree are as follows:
|Mathematics 2153||Not Required|
|Chemistry 2550||Not Required|
|Biochemistry 5722 (or Chemistry 4210 or 4310)||Not Required|
This allows students to complete a Biochemistry degree and have flexibility to use the open credits for other advanced sciences that may be required for admittance to professional programs, ie. Anatomy, Microbiology, Statistics.