- Faculty & Staff
- Events & News
- About Us
Chemistry Graduate Studies
Programs of Study
Graduate courses and research programs leading to the MS and PhD degrees in chemistry are offered in analytical, biological, inorganic, organic, physical and theoretical chemistry. These programs include photochemistry, stereochemistry, electrochemistry, kinetics (including nanosecond and crossed-molecular beam studies), theoretical structure and dynamics, statistical mechanics, organic synthesis, inorganic synthesis, carbohydrate chemistry, NMR, ESR, laser and vacuum UV spectroscopy, pulse radiolysis, X-ray structures, multi-enzyme complexes, catalysis, mechanisms of action of enzymes and coenzymes, molecular biology, biomembrane studies, surface chemistry and separations.
The first year is devoted mainly to advanced coursework with the opportunity to begin research in the latter part of the year. During the second and subsequent years, the major emphasis is given to research for both MS and PhD students. PhD students begin their examinations for admission to PhD candidacy in their second year. These examinations include both written and oral portions; they are designed to verify the student's competence as an independent scientist.
All MS and PhD research is carried out under the direct supervision of a faculty adviser who serves as the student's preceptor. Many research groups are enriched by the presence of postdoctoral researchers and visiting professors. Graduates are employed by industrial and government laboratories and as research and teaching staff members at colleges and universities across the United States.
- Spring 2015 Research Course Numbers
- Spring 2015 Semester Deadlines
- Registration Guidelines
- 2014-15 Procedures and Requirements for Graduate Degrees
- 2013-14 Procedures and Requirements for Graduate Degrees
- 2012-13 Procedures and Requirements for Graduate Degrees
- 2011-12 Procedures and Requirements for Graduate Degrees
- 2010-11 Procedures and Requirements for Graduate Degrees
- Petition for Continued Departmental Financial Support
- 2013-2014 Cumulative Examination Schedule
- Faculty Table
- Course Listing
- Living Costs and Surrounding Area
- 2014 Travel Agreement
- SU Code of Student Conduct
New Course Announcements