Answers to the most frequently asked questions about applying to our graduate program can be found here.
The online application to the Chemistry PhD Program is hosted by The Ohio State University Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions and can be found HERE.
Before beginning the application process, please note the following:
- The program only admits one time per year for the Autumn semester.
- The minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA requirement for applying is 3.0/4.0. The same requirement applies to the cumulative graduate GPA, if graduate-level courses have been completed.
- Students must have at least a 4-year Bachelor’s degree or a 5-year combined BS/MS degree in order to apply.
- The minimum total TOEFL score required in order to be eligible to apply is 79 on the Internet-based test and 550 on the paper-based test. Applicants who achieve a total score of 100 and a 20 or higher on the speaking section of the Internet-Based TOEFL will be most competitive. The minimum allowable score on the IELTS is a 7.0.
- There is no minimum GRE score required by OSU in order to be eligible to apply to the Graduate School or the Chemistry PhD Program, still, official scores are required to be submitted and must be reported to OSU directly from ETS.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit scores for the GRE revised General Test as opposed to older versions.
- The Chemistry GRE is not required.
- The average GRE scores for all all students who were offered admission for 2016 are as follows: Quant - 75th percentile, Verbal - 67th percentile, Analytical Writing - 4.0.
- Without exception, GRE and TOEFL or scores must be officially reported to OSU by ETS. If you are submitting scores for the IELTS, those scores must be reported to OSU directly by IELTS.
- The application fee is $50. Application fee waivers may be granted for a limited number of domestic (US citizens and permanent residents) applicants Fee waiver [pdf]
- Answers to the most frequently asked questions can be found here.
December 15, 2017 is the deadline for submitting the online application and all required supplemental materials for Autumn 2018 admission. Before or on this date, all required application materials MUST be submitted (submitted is defined as available for committee review and not on order for or en route to OSU). Please complete the online application well in advance of the deadline so that your referees will receive their links in plenty of time to submit their letters before the December 15th deadline. Please be certain to take the GRE and/or TOEFL early enough to ensure that your scores are reported to OSU by ETS before or on December 15th. Please follow the instructions below to complete your application and consult our timeline to help you navigate our application process.
- Complete the online application (please note that OSU's graduate school application is no longer hosted by CollegeNet/ApplyWeb). The application should be submitted early in the Autumn to allow time for all required materials, including transcripts, recommendation letters, and GRE and/or TOEFL scores to be submitted and processed by the deadline.
- Upload scans of your transcripts on the "Academic Data" tab of the online application. Scans of original transcripts from every college or university you have ever attended are REQUIRED. Transfer credit indicated on a transcript does not satisfy the transcript requirement for the school at which the credits were originally earned. Scans of original, official transcripts (front and back (if applicable)) are required to be uploaded while completing the online application or submitted via the document uploader by or on the application deadline. Online advising reports or degree audits cannot be used to satisfy the transcript requirement for the application.
- Upload your resume and your personal statement on the "Final Steps/Submit" tab of the online application.
- All letters of recommendation must be submitted through the online system. Applicants will enter their referees' contact information within the online application. It is only after the application is submitted that each referee will receive a link by e-mail indicating where they can submit their letter of recommendation for the applicant. For this reason, please submit the online application well in advance of the deadline so that your referees will receive their links and have ample time to submit their letters before the deadline.
- Order official GRE scores from ETS to be reported OSU. The institution code is 1592 and the department code is 0301.
- Please make sure that you input your name on the online application exactly how it appears on your GRE score report. Doing so will ensure that your official scores can be electronically matched to your application.
- Order official TOEFL scores from ETS ro be reported to OSU (this requirement applies to applicants whose native language is not English and who have not received a BS or MS degree from a college or university within the United States). The institution code is 1592.
- Please make sure that you input your name on the online application exactly how it appears on your TOEFL score report. Doing so will ensure that your official scores can be electronically matched to your application.
- If you are submitting scores for the IELTS, those scores must also be directly reported to OSU by IELTS.
- The Admissions Commitee for the PhD Program in Chemistry does not offer conditional admission to students who either have not taken the TOEFL or IELTS or whose TOEFL or IELTS score does not meet the minimum requirement.
- If the Admissions Committee deems it necessary to further evaluate an applicant's spoken English proficiency, the applicant might be asked to participate in an oral proficiency assessment administered via Skype by a trained staff member from OSU's ESL program.
- Applicants are solely responsible for ensuring the completion of their application before or on the December 15th deadline. Each applicant should review his/her application status page daily to ensure the receipt of required materials. Please allow several business days for submitted items to appear as completed on the application status page. If submitted items do not appear within 3 business days, please e-mail Jennifer Hambach.
- All questions about applying should be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
[pdf]- Some links on this page are to .pdf files. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free at: Adobe Acrobat Reader.