Students planning to graduate should first speak with their advisors to determine potential final exam committee members. See Procedures for Selection of Candidacy Examination Committee and Initiation of Candidacy. Once committee members are approved, students and advisors will receive official notification from the Graduate Studies Office. Upon confirmation of the committee, students should submit an application to graduate via Gradforms.
- The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry deadline for submitting applications is the second Friday of the semester in which a student intends to graduate. This is different from the Graduate School deadline and is necessary to review all applicants and confirm that they meet graduation requirements before approval of the application. Students will also need to complete an exit survey before the application will be approved by the Vice Chair.
- The application must be approved by the Vice Chair and the student’s advisor by the Graduate School deadline of the third Friday of the semester. Once your application has been approved by these two individuals it will appear as Pending* (with asterisk) which is acceptable for the Graduate School deadline.
- Once your application has been reviewed by the Graduate School and approved, it will appear as Approved. This may take a number of weeks as the Graduate School staff have many applications to review.
Dates & Deadlines
- End-of-Semester Autumn 2016 Graduates: All documentation must be submitted to the Graduate School no later than 4:00 p.m., Friday, January 6, 2017. This includes your final oral exam report form, and the dissertation approval form. You will receive your diploma at the spring commencement on Sunday, May 7, 2017.
- Spring Semester 2017 Graduates: If you are planning to graduate in spring semester or for end-of-semester, your application to graduate must be submitted via Gradforms by Friday, January 20, 2017. This is the CBC deadline and is different from the Graduate School deadline. To see if you're on track, check the final semester checklist.
- Exam committees must be submitted to and approved by the Vice Chair before applications are submitted on gradforms.
- Applications to graduate must be approved by the advisor and Vice Chair by the Graduate School deadline of January 27, 2017.
- To graduate on May 7th, oral exams must be completed by April 14, 2017 and thesis and dissertation documents must be completed by April 21, 2017.
- Students choosing to graduate with the end-of-semester option for spring have until May 9, 2017 to complete all graduation requirements.
- All Ph.D. processing fees are now automatically added to your student account when you submit your Application to Graduate. This is a one-time fee applied to your account about the fourth week of the semester.
- The fee will be carried on the account until the graduation semester, but is due the term you apply to graduate or your enrollment registration will be locked for the next semester/term.
- Doctoral hoods: students will purchase the doctoral hood directly from the OSU Bookstore at the same time arrangements are made for the tam (cap) and gown. The hoods will still be delivered at commencement and presented to the students as part of the ceremony. Students will pick up the tam and gown before commencement at the OSU Bookstore.
[pdf]- Some links on this page are to .pdf files. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free at: Adobe Acrobat Reader.