Mandatory Safety Training
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry requires safety training for faculty and staff. WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING IS REQUIRED? It depends on who you are.
- Faculty, laboratory staff, post-docs, visiting scholars, and contractors can take advantage of the EHS Online training modules. The supervisor can determine which modules are appropriate. At a minium, the Lab Standard (or Hazard Communication for non-laboratory staff) and the Building Emergency Action Plan (BEAP) must be completed.
- Undergraduate Researchers must use the EHS Online training modules. For those Undergraduates that will perform more intensive laboratory duties (such as those found in Organic Chemistry Research Laboratories), the more comprehensive You can also register for the CHEM 6781 in the fall semester (optional and not required).
- Undergraduate Work Study/Chemical Prep Students must use the EHS Online training modules at the direction of the supervisor.
- Non-Laboratory Staff must take "Hazard Communication" and BEAP through EHS.
- Chemistry 6781 [pdf] is a required course for graduate students. It is offfered every Fall semester (second half).
For online makeups, click on the titles below. If your computer is not Real compatible, click to download the free RealOne player. OR scroll down to the downloadable (and smaller files) MP4 links. They will work with Quicktime or the VLAN VLC Media Player.
After watching the video, download and print the appropriate quiz (see below...after each title. Give the quizzes to your supervisor.
Session 1 - Emergency Response and Lab Safety Recorded 1/2/01-45 minutes
Session 2 - Hazardous and Infectious Waste Disposal Recorded 1/4/01-45 minutes
Session 3 - Fume Hood Operation Recorded 1/18/01-27 minutes
Session 4 - Chemical Incompatibilities and Storage 1/30/01-39 minutes
Session 5 - Compressed Gases and Cryogenic Liquids Recorded 1/23/01-31 minutes
Session 6 - Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Recorded 2/01/01-29 minutes
Session 7 - The Hazard Communication and OSHA Lab Standards Recorded 1/9/01-39 minutes
Session 8 - Electrical Safety Recorded 1/16/01-50 minutes
Session 9 - Safety in Industry Recorded 2/20/01-53 minutes
Session 10 - Office and Laboratory Ergonomics Recorded 1/13/01-47 minutes
Session 11 - Laser Safety Recorded 1/25/01-50 minutes
Session 12 - Public Safety Recorded 2/14/02-37 minutes
- No Quiz
Session 13 - Laboratory Glassware & Vacuum Systems and Pressurized Systems Recorded 2/27/01-39 minutes
Session 14 - Biomedical Safety Recorded 3/1/01-51 minutes
Session 15 - Radiation Safety Recorded 2/8/01-27 minutes
Session 16 - Basic First Aid Recorded 2/12/02-37 minutes
Session 17 - Laboratory Inspections Recorded 2/22/01-23 minutes
Session 18 - Flammable Liquids and Fire Codes Recorded 3/6/01-34 minutes
Session 19 - Hands-On Fire Extinguisher Training Recorded 3/8/01-33 minutes
H.264 MP4 Video Format:
- Emergency Response and General Laboratory Safety
- Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Fume Hood Operation
- Chemical Incompatibilities
- Compressed Gases and Cryogenic Liquids
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Hazard Communication and OSHA Lab Standard
- Electrical Safety
- Safety In Industry
- Office and Laboratory Ergonomics
- Laser Safety
- Laboratory Glassware & Vacuum Systems and Pressurized Systems
- Biomedical Safety
- Radiation Safety
- Basic First Aid
- Flammable Liquids and Fire Codes
- Hands-On Fire Extinguisher Training
- Public Safety
- Lab Inspections
Faculty Training Sessions
Safety orientation/training for Chemistry faculty and Visiting Professors/Scholars/Lecturers will be offered every semester on an "as needed" basis. The sessions will be approximately two hours long. You need only to attend ONE session. PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL, if you would like individualized training.