Coming soon: ThermoFisher Nexsa G2 XPS.
Fully automated X-ray photoelectron spectrometer (XPS) fitted with a variable size X-ray spot (Al source) with a MAGCIS sputtering gun. Data from the Nexsa G2 can be correlated to scanning electron microscopy images. The system also capable of ultraviolet photoelectron spectroscopy and angle resolved XPS.
Near Ambient Pressure XPS (NAP-XPS)
SAL houses a newly installed near ambient pressure XPS (NAP-XPS) designed by SPECS that utilizes an in-situ cell capable of conducting XPS measurements in the presence of a gas of interest up to a maximum pressure of 20 mbar. The cell temperature can also be varied in the range of 200-800 K. The system is fitted with a monochromated Al K-α source and an Ar ion sputtering gun. Lastly, a residual gas analyzer is fitted to examine the gas phase flowing through the cell. For more details please visit the NAP-XPS proposal submission page.
Purchase of the ambient pressure XPS was supported by that National Science Foundation through NSF MRI award 1625792.
Bruker Icon Dimension AFM
Bruker Icon Dimension AFM can provide a high-resolution image of the topography of a sample's surface. Some of the options available are heated transition imaging and liquid imaging. The system is compatible with Bruker’s “ScanAsyst” modes.
Select Publications - Kratos Axis Ultra XPS
- Jain, Deeksha; Zhang, Quang; Gustin, Vance; Hightower, Jonathan; Gunduz, Seval; Co, Anne C.; Miller, Jeffrey T.; Asthagiri, Aravind, Ozkan, Ummit T. Experimental and DFT Investigation into Chloride Poisoning Effects on Nitrogen-Coordinated Iron–Carbon (FeNC) Catalysts for Oxygen Reduction Reaction, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2020, 124 (19), 10324-10335.
- S. Londo, S. Biswas, J. Husek, I. V. Pinchuk, M. J. Newburger, A. Boyadzhiev, A. H. Trout, D. W. McComb, R. Kawakami, and L. R. Baker, Ultrafast Spin Crossover in a Room-Temperature Ferrimagnet: Element-Specific Spin Dynamics in Photoexcited Cobalt Ferrite, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2020, 124, 21, 11368–11375.
- Xiao, N., Zheng, J., Gourdin, G., Schkeryantz, L., & Wu, Y. (2019). Anchoring an Artificial Protective Layer to Stabilize Potassium Metal Anode in Rechargeable K–O2 Batteries. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2019, 11 (18), pp 16571–16577.
- Guo, X., Wang, Y., Yao, T., Mohanty, C., Lian, J. and Frankel, G.S. Corrosion interactions between stainless steel and lead vanado-iodoapatite nuclear waste form part I. 2020 NPJ Mater. Degrad., 2020, 13, 1-12.
Select Publications - NAP-XPS
- Ning, S.; Zhang, S.; Sun, J.; Li, Congping Li, Z.; Khalifa, Y.; Zhou, S.; Cao, J.; Wu, Y. Ambient Pressure X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy Investigation of Thermally Stable Halide Perovskite Solar Cells via Post-Treatment. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2020, 12, 43705-43713.
- Ailawar, S.; Hunoor, A.; Khalifa, Y.; Miller, J. T.; Edmiston, P. L.; Ozkan, U. S. Elucidating the Role of Ethanol in Aqueous Phase Hydrodechlorination of Trichloroethylene over Pd Catalysts Supported on Swellable Organically Modified Silica (SOMS). Appl. Catal. Published online DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2020.119819.
Select Publications - AFM
- Ji, M., Mason, M. L., Modarelli, D. A. & Parquette, J. R.. Threading carbon nanotubes through a self-assembled nanotube. Chem. Sci., 2019, 10, 7868–7877.
- Ji, M. & Parquette, J. R. Enhanced Stability of Peptide Nanofibers Coated with a Conformal Layer of Polydopamine, Chem. Eur. J., 2020, 26, 8572-7578.