Course Requirements for Bachelor of Science (BS)
Part A. Required Prerequisites or Supplements to the Major
These courses are required, but do not count toward the 38 credit hour major:
- Biology 1113-1114, 1113H-1114H
- Chemistry 1210-1220 or 1610-1620 or 1910H-1920H
- Mathematics 1151-1152
- Physics 1250-1251
Part B. Core Requirements
A minimum grade of "C-" in each course, and an overall grade point average of "C" (2.00) are required for graduation. The major is planned with an advisor and is tailored to the background and interests of the student.
- Chemistry 2510-2520 or 2610-2620 or 2910H-2920H
- Chemistry 2540, 2550
- Biochemistry 5613, 5614, 5615, 5621
- Molecular Genetics 4500 or 4606
- Physical Biochemistry 5721, 5722
- Mathematics 2153
Total: 38 or more hours at the 2000 level or above
COURSES IN THE MAJOR MUST BE APPROVED BY YOUR ADVISOR
Course Requirements for Bachelor of Arts (BA)
A BA student completes all BS major requirements with the following exceptions:
- Mathematics 2153 is not required.
- Biochemistry 5722 is not required.
- Either Physics 1200-1201 or Physics 1250-1251 can fulfil the physics requirement.
- Chemistry 2550 is not required, though it is commonly used to fulfil the two required elective hours and is required for many pre-health professional programs.
The reduction in core course requirements permits students to complete a Biochemistry degree with the flexibility to take other advanced electives that may be required for admittance to professional programs, e.g. Anatomy, Microbiology, Physiology, Statistics.
General Education Requirements
The GE is a body of courses designed to ensure that each student becomes acquainted with the basic areas of academic study. To meet the GE requirements, credit hours must be completed from the following areas of academic study: writing, quantitative and logical skills, natural sciences, literature, visual and performing arts, social sciences, historical study, culture and ideas (or second historical study), and foreign language proficiency. This body of coursework must also include courses designated as “social diversity in the United States” as well as “global studies.”
[pdf]- Some links on this page are to .pdf files. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free at: Adobe Acrobat Reader.